1998-01-25 - Re: NYTimes web cookies

Header Data

From: nobody@REPLAY.COM (Anonymous)
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: 71f4fc7bfed9e9d92bd20645ad527f80bb8b457d6bf8ee7f8a626cd31978df78
Message ID: <199801252000.VAA04977@basement.replay.com>
Reply To: <199801251852.NAA20393@myriad>
UTC Datetime: 1998-01-25 20:08:48 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 04:08:48 +0800

Raw message

From: nobody@REPLAY.COM (Anonymous)
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 04:08:48 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: NYTimes web cookies

ghio@temp0199.myriad.ml.org (Matthew Ghio) wrote:

> It doesn't check the PW or ID at all except the first time you log in.
> After that it generates a new cookie titled NPLCNYT and that is the only
> cookie it checks; the PW and ID are not required to be there at all.
> If you delete the NPLCNYT cookie, it will check the PW/ID and generate
> a new one.  An example cookie is below:
>
> NPLCNYT=AAAALw>AAAAAX9IUUWiPhfALqHZuSh2mUM0yzNOwGRReAAAAAsAAAAAY3lwaGVycHVua3M>

I put this wafer in my junkbuster-configfile and disabled all other cookies,
and NYTimes let me in without asking for a password, but after I read a few
articles, the site started behaving strangely, where the server would seem
to hang on certain pages, taking forever to send the html.

Interesting though.  Maybe we should hold a cypherpunks 'potluck' where
everyone trades cookies.  :)

Thread