1998-01-11 - openworld, inc.

Header Data

From: Ryan Lackey <rdl@mit.edu>
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Message Hash: 78b75b750cf8d33d931bdffa59bced05783af7e538deec3c04f9492cce94b846
Message ID: <tw71zyfi7f4.fsf@the-great-machine.mit.edu>
Raw Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 19:24:12 +0800

Raw message

From: Ryan Lackey <rdl@mit.edu>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 19:24:12 +0800
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Subject: openworld, inc.

Has anyone looked at these people?  They seem to be selling turnkey
systems for offshore digital commerce, among other things, which I believe
is fundamentally interesting.  However, they seem like they're involved
in several traditional weird Government-affiliated international business
startup/consulting group/etc. projects, like educational resources, and
from what I remember of a Tim May response to them, they seemed to believe
money laundering/thoughtcrime/etc. was morally reprehensible and the
duty of technical people to prevent (I may be wrong, he may be wrong, they
may be wrong...)

[ObNonCrypto: I picked the 3-pin Medeco lock on the front of my
IBM RS/6000 320 today.  I was just kind of sitting here with my new picks
and wrench and was bored and poking around, and I got it to go from Secure to
Normal.  Luckily the lock turns both ways, since I was picking it backwards :(
I've been thinking about and off and on trying to pick it for several months
now -- it's a pretty impressive lock for the case on a workstation.  3-pin
Medecos are a pale comparison to the real ones, though.  Guess what locks
I will specify from now on...]
--
Ryan Lackey
rdl@mit.edu