1998-01-28 - Fw: Congratulations, Bill, You’ve WON! Netscape Recommends Explorer!

Header Data

From: amp@pobox.com
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: 81e4b2d324c430730cea681f8de3a21b03c2b2c441349364d346d3348ffa37e6
Message ID: <Chameleon.885987977.amp@rcnu3077>
Reply To: <199801271704.LAA18643@lawgiver.megacity.org>
UTC Datetime: 1998-01-28 06:49:38 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 14:49:38 +0800

Raw message

From: amp@pobox.com
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 14:49:38 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Fw: Congratulations, Bill, You've WON! Netscape Recommends Explorer!

FYI.

------------------------
  From: Linda Thompson <lindat@megacity.org>

  Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 11:04:00 -0600
  To: amp@pobox.com
  Cc: news@aen.org, chat@aen.org

Will you please forward this to cypherpunks and anyplace else that might
find it interesting?  Thanks.

Today, I called Netscape because of a problem with it being unable to play
.wav files on a webpage (without a plug-in).  I am using Netscape Gold
3.03.

I won't get 3.04 after reading about it's new "fixes" that say NOT to use a
~ for webpage addresses, but instead, to use /./ -- Is anyone in their
right
mind going to try that on their webpages?  I've got about 40 megs of
webpages and I'm NOT going to reconfigure them because Netscape's
programmers are a bunch of jackasses.

I configured Netscape's helper applications menu to use mplayer, which is
bundled with Windows, and then tried to use it to browse my own webpage,
with a .wav file on it.

(1)  Netscape would not save the configuration of mplayer in the helper
applications settings.  Mplayer would stay in the configuration for that
session, but upon exiting to DOS and reloading Windows and Netscape, the
setting would no longer be present.

(2)  If I didn't check to see that mplayer was still set up in the Netscape
helper applications configuration, and browsed the page with the .wav file,
I would get a message from Netscape "Unable to play .wav file."

In the meantime, Netscape WIPED OUT all my sound drivers in memory.  They
were still present in the windows/system directory, but had to be (1)
reloaded through Windows Utilities; (2) reloaded through Soundblaster
utilities in DOS and (3) I had to do a cold reboot to get them to work again.

THEN I found that the volume on the mixer that comes with Windows, had been
set to "0" by Netscape.

Since I could duplicate these results, repeatedly, it appeared to be a bug.

I called Netscape about it.

GRADY WILSON AT NETSCAPE TOLD ME TO USE INTERNET EXPLORER.

First he told me to reinstall Netscape (already did that).
Then he told me to get Netscape 3.04.  I told him I wouldn't and I wanted to
know why Netscape out of the box, which is SUPPOSED to play a .wav file,
wouldn't play a .wav file and wouldn't save the configuration.  He said it
would, and I said obviously it doesn't, or I wouldn't be calling, and why
else would Netscape have to have a blue million "plug ins."

Next he said "mplayer" was corrupt (it isn't and works fine, even with
Netscape, so long as Netscape hasn't yet deleted its own configuration
setting mplayer to play .wav files).  I told him this.

That is when

GRADY WILSON AT NETSCAPE TOLD ME TO USE INTERNET EXPLORER.

So, congratulations, Bill, you've won.  NETSCAPE ITSELF is now telling
people to get Explorer.

             ************  V  *****************
  DEATH TO THE NEW WORLD ORDER
            **********************************

Remember Waco.  The Murderers are still free
       (and running YOUR country.)
See the proof: http://www.Public-Action.com/SkyWriter/WacoMuseum
*********************************

My son, David, has been missing since Sept. 19, 1997.  Please help us find
him.

===
E-mail: amp@pobox.com
Date: 01/28/98
Time: 06:45:54
Visit me at http://www.pobox.com/~amp

     -export-a-crypto-system-sig -RSA-3-lines-PERL

Have you seen  http://www.public-action.com/SkyWriter/WacoMuseum
===

Thread