1998-01-12 - Re: Spam

Header Data

From: The Sheriff <sheriff@speakeasy.org>
To: lord_buttmonkey@juno.com (Matthew L Bennett)
Message Hash: 951c305203db42e59eb6fd93951e1de6e0376910e18dc4b11ea4337d121c725a
Message ID: <l03020901b0ded4fdda62@[209.130.130.104]>
Reply To: <l03020901b0dd558f496e@[209.130.131.105]>
UTC Datetime: 1998-01-12 22:32:09 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 06:32:09 +0800

Raw message

From: The Sheriff <sheriff@speakeasy.org>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 06:32:09 +0800
To: lord_buttmonkey@juno.com (Matthew L Bennett)
Subject: Re: Spam

>>I'm hoping you guys would know where I could find out
>>more about this individual -- I'm hoping that he does
>>in fact buy his service from someone else, and if so,
>>I'm not sure how to find that out.  If he doesn't, is
>>there anything I can do?
>  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>Yeah, there is.
>
>Delete the friggin e-mail like a sensible person.
>
>I get a lot of spam every day, but I just delete it and go on with my
>life.

Look, I realize I was probably asking a stupid question, but
you don't have to be quick with me.  I figured that there were
some things that I could do that I simply didn't know about,
beyond the simplicity of returning the spam the postmaster, root,
and abuse account of the last ISP the spam was routed through.

My interest isn't simply in getting rid of the spam.  "Empty
Trash" is a pretty simple concept on Eudora.  What I want to do
is fight the flow -- and while there may be as many as 10 spammers
per ISP out there, every spam I do something about is one less
server that accepts messages for routing that don't come from one
of their accounts.

If that doesn't make sense to you, don't bother answering the
e-mail next time, eh?

Best wishes and fresh-roasted peanut taste,
The Sheriff. -- ***<REPLY TO: sheriff@speakeasy.org>***
- ---
As kinky as it sounds, finger me to see my PGP key and
confirm the signature attached to this message.  Either
that, or head for pgp.ai.mit.edu on the WWW and search
for my e-mail address.
- ---
Any and all SPAM will be met with immediate prosecutory
efforts.  Solicitations are NOT welcome here!
- ---