1998-01-14 - Re: (eternity) autonomous agents

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: William Knowles <erehwon@dis.org>
Message Hash: a156773448097d37a76f443f70bbe9c767ce33e6d8bad2b99908da17adc80561
Message ID: <v03102803b0e223c5a695@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <v03102804b0e1a0b6d21b@[207.167.93.63]>
UTC Datetime: 1998-01-14 08:28:49 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 16:28:49 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 16:28:49 +0800
To: William Knowles <erehwon@dis.org>
Subject: Re: (eternity) autonomous agents

At 3:51 PM -0800 1/13/98, William Knowles wrote:

>Isn't there a microstate off the coast of England called 'Sealand' run
>from a former oil rig/gun battery for the last 20 years?

What Lucky said.

(And read up on the scam ^H^H^H^H scheme called "Oceania," the floating
libertarian non-state. And Minerva, and so on.)

>I agree completely, But there is still room for massively distrubted
>datahavens on oil rigs, barges, gun batteries, island nations or
>hiding in Norm's LAN in Cicero IL.  All the harder to supress that
>information.

"Room for," certainly. "Economic incentive for," apparently not.

Look, if you can wave a magic want and give us "massively distributed data
havens on oil rigs, barges,....," I'll be the first to cheer.

But the factors I described, and Lucky described, are why it would be a
foolish investment for anyone to build even the first one, let alone the
numbers you are contemplating.

Wishing won't make it so.

--Tim May