1998-01-19 - Re: Barry Smith (FBI) to speak on encryption policy

Header Data

From: “William H. Geiger III” <whgiii@invweb.net>
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Message Hash: a731bf94a451ec506af50c87655008fcb4327518af2b7ce5c01db3d9dbc4deb8
Message ID: <199801191304.IAA28944@users.invweb.net>
Raw Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 20:52:03 +0800

Raw message

From: "William H. Geiger III" <whgiii@invweb.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 20:52:03 +0800
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Subject: Re: Barry Smith (FBI) to speak on encryption policy

Anyone going to this?

The following message is forwarded to you by "William H. Geiger III"
<whgiii@invweb.net> (listed as the From user of this message).  The
original sender (see the header, below) was "Dr. Alan Sherman"
<sherman@gl.umbc.edu> and has been set as the "Reply-To" field of this
message.
>From: "Dr. Alan Sherman" <sherman@gl.umbc.edu>
>Newsgroups: sci.crypt
>Subject: Barry Smith (FBI) to speak on encryption policy
>Date: 19 Jan 1998 01:54:28 -0000

   The UMBC Security Technology Research Group presents

     A Law-Enforcement Perspective on Encryption Policy

			Barry Smith
	       Supervisory Special Agent, FBI

	    moderated by journalist Peter Wayner

		      3:30pm - 5:00pm
		   Friday, March 6, 1998
	Lecture Hall V (LOCATION SUBJECT TO CHANGE)
    http://www.cs.umbc.edu/events/spring98/crypto.shtml

The second lecture and discussion in a two-part forum on
encryption policy.  Journalist Peter Wayner will introduce
and moderate the event, which is free and open to the
public.  In Part I, freedom activist John Gilmore and Fritz
Fielding (Ex-Associate General Councel, NSA) gave their
divergent views, focusing on the Burnstein case.

Barry Smith will articulate the needs of law enforcement to
conduct lawful wiretaps; he will advocate the use of
key-recovery techniques to achieve this end as a way that
provides adequate privacy to law-abiding citizens.

Schedule: The event will begin with a brief (10 minute)
introduction by Peter Wayner.  Following Barry Smith's talk,
which will last approximately 45 minutes, there will be an
opportunity to ask questions for approximately 20-30
minutes.

Questions: Attendees are encouraged to ask questions in
advance by sending email to sherman@cs.umbc.edu

Directions: Take Exit #47B off interstate I-95 and follow
signs to UMBC.  LH V is on the 100-level of the Engineering
Computer Science (ECS) Building, directly behind the
University Center.  There is a visitor's parking lot near
the I-95 entrance to UMBC.

Host: Dr. Alan T. Sherman
      Associate Professor, Computer Science
      sherman@cs.umbc.edu
      http://www.umbc.edu
      (410) 455-2666

     This event is held in cooperation with the UMBC
	       Intellectual Sports Council
		       Honors College
	       Phi Beta Kappa honors society
                   CMSC Council of Majors
		   IFSM Council of Majors

 -- End of forwarded message
William H. Geiger III  http://users.invweb.net/~whgiii

OS/2 PGP 2.6.3a at: http://users.invweb.net/~whgiii/pgpmr2.html

Tag-O-Matic: One man's Windows are another man's walls.

Thread