1998-01-13 - Re: (eternity) autonomous agents

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: William Knowles <adam@homeport.org>
Message Hash: ad54364eba9917fef9835e262657709635ce80540cd381f51a6eb594213930ea
Message ID: <v03102804b0e1a0b6d21b@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <199801132039.PAA14695@homeport.org>
UTC Datetime: 1998-01-13 23:08:38 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 07:08:38 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 07:08:38 +0800
To: William Knowles <adam@homeport.org>
Subject: Re: (eternity) autonomous agents

At 1:23 PM -0800 1/13/98, William Knowles wrote:

>Anguilla seems to be a doing agood job on becoming a country
>willing on hosting data havens.

Oh yeah?

It's been a while since we talked about this (at least on the Cypherpunks
list), but a couple of years ago there was much discusson on the CP list
about just what items would be allowable in Anguilla. Vince Cate gave his
assessment, which I found fairly nebulous, in that it appeared the Ruling
Families would allow what they would allow, and not allow what they would
not allow---there seemed to be a lot of ad hoc rulings.

(Given that copies of "Penthouse" are illegal in Anguilla, if I recall this
correctly, and given that gun are illegal, and drugs are illegal, I rather
doubt that Anguilla would happily host "The Aryan Nations Bomb Site," or
"Pedophile Heaven," or "Gun Smuggler's Digest. " Or the even juicier stuff
any "data haven" with any claim to really being a data haven will surely
have.)

>And there are likely under a hundred oil companies looking
>for firms to 'recycle' their old oil platforms and drilling
>rigs wasting away around the world, I'm sure some might just
>give you one just to be rid of future liability.

Given the willingness of the French to have SDECE sink Greenpeace ships in
neutral ports, how long before a couple of kilos of Semtex are applied to
the underside of these oil rigs?

Given what happened with "pirate broadcast tankers," the future is not bright.

When the first "oil rig data haven" is found to have kiddie porn,
bomb-making info, and (shudder) material doubting the historicity of the
Holocaust, the U.N. will cluck and the public will cheer when it is boarded
and seized, or simply sunk.

As I said in my last piece on this subject, there is no security in
meatspace comparable to what is gotten with mathematics.

--Tim May