1998-01-16 - what are cypherpunks about?

Header Data

From: Adam Back <aba@dcs.ex.ac.uk>
To: gonad99@earthlink.net
Message Hash: ff92410f8c21ccd1fed18c7e7704f815394bcfa9433841c3b1602dfc7ca0a3bb
Message ID: <199801162205.WAA00681@server.eternity.org>
Reply To: <199801161822.KAA26360@denmark.it.earthlink.net>
UTC Datetime: 1998-01-16 22:34:25 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 17 Jan 1998 06:34:25 +0800

Raw message

From: Adam Back <aba@dcs.ex.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 1998 06:34:25 +0800
To: gonad99@earthlink.net
Subject: what are cypherpunks about?

[I am keeping this Cc of the list as I have come across 4 or 5 people
in the last month or so, most of who have been readers of the list for
years, but who were not up to date with the fact that cypherpunks list
is not located at toad.com.]

James Little <gonad99@earthlink.net> writes:
> I just don't understand what it is u guys are really about. Please
> help.

First I think you are subscribed to the old list... toad.com only
covers some of the traffic.  See: http://www.dcs.ex.ac.uk/~aba/cp.html
for instructions on subscribing to the current cypherpunks list home.

For what cypherpunks are about, cypherpunks are about crypto-anarchy,
which some thing will long term corrode the power of governments,
needless to say most here also think this would be a good thing.

You should read Tim May's cyphernomicon:

	http://www.oberlin.edu/~brchkind/cyphernomicon/

You might find these books interesting also:

"Snow Crash", Neal Stephenson

"The Moon is a Harsh Mistress", Heinlein

"Machinery of Freedom", David Friedman
2nd Ed.
Paperback
Published by Open Court Publishing Company
Publication date: August 1989
ISBN: 0812690680

People also recommend "True Names" by Vernor Vinge, but I have been
unable to obtain a copy so far.  Perhaps someone could scan it and
post it on the eternity servers.

Adam
--
Now officially an EAR violation...