1998-02-02 - Re: The Continued Attack on Cash (Was: “The Right of Anonymity”…)

Header Data

From: Anonymous <anon@anon.efga.org>
To: unicorn@schloss.li
Message Hash: 35ec07d3347763053ae8badec1b1b9c0c2aa03f38db4cd0d15b715405769d9ba
Message ID: <a376e556b810713007e9423ce0a90627@anon.efga.org>
Reply To: <3.0.3.32.19980202005111.006c10d0@schloss.li>
UTC Datetime: 1998-02-02 14:39:06 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 22:39:06 +0800

Raw message

From: Anonymous <anon@anon.efga.org>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 22:39:06 +0800
To: unicorn@schloss.li
Subject: Re: The Continued Attack on Cash (Was: "The Right of Anonymity"...)

Black Unicorn wrote:

> Sound paranoid?  Try this.  I'd like everyone who reads this to try and go
> 45 days without using plastic or writing a check.  Just 45 days.  If you
> don't grow alarmist very quickly (like in the first week) I'd like to hear
> your experience.  If nothing else, try adding up a few months of finance
> charges, yearly fees on your credit cards, transactions fees, check fees,
> interest lost on no-interest checking accounts... see what you're paying to
> keep people from looking at you like a criminal.

Depends on where you shop.  I was recently at a store where my request
to pay with a credit card instead of cash elicited a look of disappointment
from the owner-operator.  Normally I'd have been happy to accomodate his
desire for cash, but when someone else is letting you charge it to their
credit card... well...

I think the real problem is dealing with big companies who want you name,
address, and phone number for their marketing dept.  Mom and pop shops
would much prefer to cut out the middleman.

Thread