1998-02-03 - Re: The Continued Attack on Cash (Was: “The Right of Anonymity”…)

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: 3eeb810b8773b56e2c03d9596c949e553d6045dc4c7def35a97b6f5e1f31ca0a
Message ID: <v03102807b0fc184de4a7@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <3.0.3.32.19980202175241.006c95d4@schloss.li>
UTC Datetime: 1998-02-03 00:51:40 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 08:51:40 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 08:51:40 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: The Continued Attack on Cash (Was: "The Right of  Anonymity"...)

At 3:52 PM -0800 2/2/98, Black Unicorn wrote:
>At 06:07 PM 2/2/98 +0000, Attila T. Hun wrote:
>>    I did-- tried to lay $14K out for a Mercedes (25 years ago).
>>    they wouldnt take it.  so I went and picked up two $7K
>>    cashiers from two different banks.  same thing with a pair
>>    of Lycoming IO540 aircraft engines:  2 8s and a 9 --stay
>>    under the $10K transaction.
>
>Careful.  This may well be illegal now.  Structuring transactions to avoid
>reporting requirements is a felony.

Maybe illegal _now_, but Attila didn't say _when_. Further, even our former
prosecutor, Brian, told us that prosecutions are only made when some larger
crime is involved.

(For example, if I made two sub-$10K deposits or withdrawals, and then
later _admitted_ this was to bypass reporting requirements, *BUT* no real
criminal activity or tax evasion was involved, no prosecutor in the land
would bother with something so transparently trivial as this. Unless, of
course, they saw an opportunity to take a thought criminal off the streets.
Which is why I don't describe my financial transactions here.)

>(I'm not on cpunks, mail me).

Sorry, if you want to read my words ya gotta subscribe.

--Tim May