1998-02-21 - Re: Five industry giants propose encryption plan to protect Hollywood

Header Data

From: “William H. Geiger III” <whgiii@invweb.net>
To: Information Security <guy@panix.com>
Message Hash: 56c23ccf7ca7b804c7ef02457057c7682feb7583f26a8a40fb20a0a41e60556e
Message ID: <199802210056.TAA07362@users.invweb.net>
Reply To: <199802200635.BAA20101@panix2.panix.com>
UTC Datetime: 1998-02-21 00:38:36 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 21 Feb 1998 08:38:36 +0800

Raw message

From: "William H. Geiger III" <whgiii@invweb.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 1998 08:38:36 +0800
To: Information Security <guy@panix.com>
Subject: Re:  Five industry giants propose encryption plan to protect Hollywood

In <199802200635.BAA20101@panix2.panix.com>, on 02/20/98
   at 01:35 AM, Information Security <guy@panix.com> said:

>   >   Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 11:13:50 -0800 (PST)
>   >   From: William Knowles <erehwon@dis.org>
>   >
>   >   BURBANK, Calif. (February 19, 1998 09:06 a.m. EST
>   >   http://www.nando.net) -- Five computer and electronics industry
>giants
>   >   have agreed on a strategy to prevent people from illegally copying
>   >   digital movies and music, the Los Angeles Times reported Thursday.
>   >
>   >   According to the proposal, high-definition TV sets, personal
>   >   computers, digital video disc players, digital video cassette
>   >   recorders and set-top boxes would be equipped with technology that
>   >   requires a code before a copyrighted piece of work can be
>transferred
>   >   from one device to another.
>   >
>   >   It would ensure that someone who watches or listens to digital
>movies
>   >   or music over satellite services, cable networks and the Internet
>   >   won't be able to make copies without permission.
>   >
>   >   The encryption technique scrambles the copyrighted material in one
>   >   device so it cannot be unscrambled by another device without the
>   >   correct software key.

>It's unscrambled when it is listened to...what are they thinking? ---guy

what they are talking about is *every* VCR, TapeRecorded, ...ect will not
record data that has this security feature without a proper record code.
(keep hold of the old VCR's and Tape Players). Even though the data is
decrypted to be viewed you will still have a stego data channel that will
tell these recording devices to to record.

Will this prevent the professional bootleger from making copies? No. The
finanical incentives for working around these security measures are there
(bootleging is a multi-billion dollor business). What this will do is
prevent you from recording songs off a CD to play on a tape in your car or
prevent you from recording that movie you just watched on PPV.

>   Escpecially regarding computers, this won't work.

Well I have gone over this in previous posts that right's management
woun't work against the bootlegers as at some time you have to display the
raw data to the user. what it will to is make things that much harder for
the average user.

- --
William H. Geiger III  http://users.invweb.net/~whgiii

OS/2 PGP 2.6.3a at: http://users.invweb.net/~whgiii/pgpmr2.html

Tag-O-Matic: Windows: The Gates of hell.

Thread