1998-02-19 - Re: Is spam really a problem?

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: sunder <sunder@brainlink.com>
Message Hash: 8ae1f0515bc26d698dbb34aaadfcffc7fc0c16323f3da84dafd37b0079be4f38
Message ID: <v03102807b112485dd04f@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <199802181733.SAA26244@basement.replay.com>
UTC Datetime: 1998-02-19 20:47:37 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 04:47:37 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 04:47:37 +0800
To: sunder <sunder@brainlink.com>
Subject: Re: Is spam really a problem?

Ray has widened his definition of "spam" even more.

At 12:22 PM -0800 2/19/98, sunder wrote:
>Tim May wrote:
>>
>> But *many* things eat up our valuable time. Doesn't mean government action
>> is the answer.
>
>Show me one place in the email you replied to where I mention that I would
>favor
>any sort of governmental action in terms of passing anti-spam laws.  I did
>mention
>contracts between ISP's and subscribers at one point, but did you see anything
>about someone passing laws?

You've mentioned that spam is theft. If the courts agree with you on your
definition of what spam is, then pretty clearly the legal system gets
invoked. (But to forestall any confusions in the courts, the anti-spam
sentiment being discussed by Ray and many others is likely to lead to
specific legislation. Sadly.)

>> If you use ISDN and pay minute charges to download an article from me, for
>> example, and you feel it was a waste of your valuable time, should my
>> article be illegal?
>
>If I am forced to pay for something that I don't want to buy, it is a theft
>of my money.  If you send me garbage without my asking for it, then you're

"Theft." Call the cops.

>But there are those who see the upside down pentagram and send me email
>stating I'm in the wrong religion.  Thems I consider spam because they
>try to pursuade me to their belief system.

So, your definition of spam has now been expanded to include someone who
sends _you_ (you, not thousands, not tens of thousands) a message you don't
care for.

Well, not much more I can say here.

--Tim May

Just Say No to "Big Brother Inside"
Higher Power: 2^3,021,377   | black markets, collapse of governments.

Thread