1998-02-22 - Update

Header Data

From: bove@rockument.com (Tony Bove)
To: fobb-followers@toad.com
Message Hash: 922804397eb0e2d121b7842db7dc8eef599ece3240c48af5973f560d1cd97673
Message ID: <v02140b01b1123fa3766b@[204.189.13.45]>
Raw Date: Sun, 22 Feb 1998 13:51:10 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: bove@rockument.com (Tony Bove)
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 1998 13:51:10 -0800 (PST)
To: fobb-followers@toad.com
Subject: Update

Hello all you FOBBheads,

The Flying Other Brothers Band is enjoying itself! Featuring Roger McNamee,
Giles McNamee, Bill Bennett, Tony Bove, Bert Keely, and Larry Marcus, with
guest percussionist Corrine.

NEWS
------
* Tony just had an amazing El Nino experience and is now with vehicle
courtesy of Hertz. You can read his story at:

http://www.rockument.com/downflood.html

* Tom Cottingham shows up at Deer Valley, Utah gig for a mini-Random Axes
reunion. Read about that gig below.

UPCOMING EVENTS
--------------------
* March 10, Internet World, L.A. -- at Billboard Live, 7pm-10pm. Fleischman
Hillard party, featuring FOBBs and a band from Excite. Details to come.

* March 30, DMG private party, Hotel Sofitel, Redwood City, CA --
tentative. Details to come.

* July 4, Gualalapalooza, Gualala, CA -- tentative. Details to come.

* Sometime in July, Amazon.com Picnic, Seattle, WA -- tentative. Details to
come.

THE LAST GIG
---------------

We recently returned from an elite financial retreat, Morgan Stanley's Ski
Weekend in Deer Valley, Utah (I know, life is tough), where we played two
sets for a crowd of CEOs and CFOs, and we had them dancing on the tables!

Highlights from that show:

Back in the U.S.S.R. (Beatles)
Secret Agent Man (Johnny Rivers)
-- Roger leads these openers, both howlers, got them on their feet with a
not-so-subtle political message.

Brown-Eyed Girl (Van Morrison)
-- Giles sings that souful lead, but this time with the two conference
organizers singing backup!

City of New Orleans (Arlo Guthrie)
-- with guest vocalist Tom Cottingham, an original member of Random Axes

Deal (Grateful Dead)
-- perfect for those investment bankers in the audience.

One Toke Over the Line (Brewer & Shipley)
-- ... and for once, Tony's home town was not introduced as the capital of
Calif. largest cash crop.

Dead Flowers (Rolling Stones)
-- another good one for investment bankers, this time with Morgan Stanley's
chief organizer Rex playing drums.

Layla (Eric Clapton)
-- Just about our finest version, merging the laid-back style that won Eric
so many awards with the high-octane guitar solo that made this song so
interesting, plus the Duane Allman slide second part sans piano.

Paint It, Black (Rolling Stones)
-- Whoa! What a tambourine ride, Corrine! Giles screams this one while Tony
gives us his Morroccan interpretation.

Like a Rolling Stone (Bob Dylan)
-- You can't beat this message. How many of these financial types actually
feel like they have no home, no direction known? Complete unknown?

Ticket to Ride (Beatles)
-- Bert gets this guitar part exactly perfect, while Roger and Tony play
John and Paul.

Jack Straw (Grateful Dead)
-- We can share the women, we can share the wine. Now that's something
those financial types can understand... This was incandescent. Larry was
once again brilliant.

The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down (The Band)
-- Our "Gone With the Wind" interpretation, led by Roger.

Six Days on the Road (Flying Burrito Brothers and others)
-- Thanks Giles, for your life story. Way to play, Tony and others...

White Room (Cream)
-- Tony sings, and Bert just wails on lead guitar!

Last Time (Rolling Stones) -> Goin' Down the Road Feelin' Bad (Grateful
Dead and others)
-- Goin' where the climate suits my clothes... Dr. Bill, he of the big
bottom sound, rocked the house.

White Shoe Shuffle (Flying Other Brothers Band)
-- Our own truly original number, written by Dr. Bill Bennett, had them
rolling the aisles (laughing) as Tony sang lead.

Uncle John's Band (Grateful Dead)
-- We had the audience singing along on this one, in 4-part harmony. Once
again, Larry knows where the time goes.

Abbey Road Side 2 (Beatles)
-- Bert's "Here Comes the Sun" into Roger's "Mean Mr. Mustard" and on
through the rest of the songs into "The End" which absolutely captivated
this crowd.

Encores (yes they hollered for more):

Iko Iko (Neville Brothers, Grateful Dead, lots of others)
-- We brought back Rex for drums, and introduced Roger Lynch on guitar, who
was already too good for us!

Johnny B. Goode (Chuck Berry and everyone else)
-- We just had to do it. Thanks everyone, and good night!

They've been going in and out of style
But they're guaranteed to raise a smile.
--Beatles, "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" (Lennon/McCartney)
Tony Bove
bove@rockument.com
http://www.rockument.com

Thread