1998-02-17 - Re: Letter of the law

Header Data

From: Ken Williams <jkwilli2@unity.ncsu.edu>
To: Bob De Witt <rdew@el.nec.com>
Message Hash: 9cec05dd71ee93e6162787c0ac495c24909a8aa816cfdcf2eca41970845f57c4
Message ID: <Pine.SOL.3.96.980217135102.29424A-100000@c00954-100lez.eos.ncsu.edu>
Reply To: <199802171845.KAA11835@yginsburg.el.nec.com>
UTC Datetime: 1998-02-17 18:56:45 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 10:56:45 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Ken Williams <jkwilli2@unity.ncsu.edu>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 10:56:45 -0800 (PST)
To: Bob De Witt <rdew@el.nec.com>
Subject: Re: Letter of the law

On Tue, 17 Feb 1998, Bob De Witt wrote:

>Doesn't the act of taking it across the border, in the laptop, constitute
>an act of export??

well, yes, of course.  that was taken for granted in my comments.
likewise, if you go to a tattoo parlor and get the infamous 4 line
crypto-sig tattooed on your ass, then you are classified as a munition,
and you cannot leave the US.

the only relevant question here regards the odds that a US Customs officer
is going to want you to drop your drawers and bend over...
;-)

ken

>> >My guess is this:
>> >  if it has the name of a US citizen in the copyright
>> >notice, it will be assumed to have been made in the
>> >US. if the morons even go after you. you still may have
>> >a plausable excuse if ever taken to court.
>> >after all, you "exported" youself, which is a perfectly
>> >legal thing to take out of the country, and "yourself"
>> >accidentally spewed a copy of something that couldn't
>> >cross the border.
>> >I don't think anybody has tried this and been challenged.
>> >then again, a lot of us don't have the opportunity.
>> >It's easier to ask forgivness than permission...
>> >Another easier excuse would be to publish it freely in
>> >hardcopy form, and just "happen" to have somebody end up
>> >"typing" in your source code abroad, making a legit
>> >international copy...
>> >-Anon2
>>
>> i would think that the big question here, legally, is whether or not you
>> would be ustilizing a US ISP and/or cellular provider to make the upload
>> of the crypto program to the foreign server via ftp.  as long as all the
>> packets stay outside of US borders, in other words, as long as you don't
>> use a US ISP and cellular provider, then i don't see how you would be
>> violating any laws in this case.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> TATTOOMAN
>>
>> http://152.7.11.38/~tattooman/
>>
>Bob De Witt,
>rdew@el.nec.com
>The views expressed herein are my own,
>and are not attributable to any other
>source, be it employer, friend or foe.

TATTOOMAN

| ORG: NC State Computer Science Dept    VP of The  E. H. A. P. Corp. |
| EML: jkwilli2@adm.csc.ncsu.edu         ehap@hackers.com             |
| EML: jkwilli2@unity.ncsu.edu           ehap-secure@hackers.com      |
| WWW: http://www4.ncsu.edu/~jkwilli2/   http://www.hackers.com/ehap/ |
| FTP: ftp://152.7.11.38/pub/personal/tattooman/                      |
| W3B: http://152.7.11.38/~tattooman/w3board/                         |
| PGP: finger tattooman@152.7.11.38                                   |

Thread