1998-02-11 - Legality of non-encryption

Header Data

From: “Sparkes, Ian, ZFRD AC” <ian.sparkes@17.dmst02.telekom400.dbp.de>
To: cypherpunks@ssz.com
Message Hash: 9f442708b9f51164d90fb73119a7d379d2f2f10a0814425032bd6bee1d96e5a6
Message ID: <000001b0000000c4*/c=de/admd=dbp/prmd=telekom400/o=dmst02/ou=17/s=sparkes/g=ian/@MHS>
Raw Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 22:07:15 +0800

Raw message

From: "Sparkes, Ian, ZFRD AC" <ian.sparkes@17.dmst02.telekom400.dbp.de>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 22:07:15 +0800
To: cypherpunks@ssz.com
Subject: Legality of *non*-encryption

I heard an interesting new slant on the legality of
encryption today.

I was talking to a colleague who is employed in a law firm
here in Germany. It appears that under the current
interpretation of German law, communications of a
confidential nature (for example, contracts, medical
records and so forth) over an insecure network *MUST* be
encrypted to protect the Client. It is therefore a breach
of German law to send unencypted eMail, unless it can be
proved that every stage of the transmission happens over
internal (secure?) paths.

I will dig further on this - perhaps there is a useful
precedent to be established here. At very least we might be
able to keep lawers (and doctors) off the net ;-)

Thread