1998-02-24 - Re: Five industry giants propose encryption plan to protect Hollywood

Header Data

From: “William H. Geiger III” <whgiii@invweb.net>
To: sunder <sunder@brainlink.com>
Message Hash: b5a7bb6ae2040134f2c2700732f620e5ec8f37432649f0447cb4ab34ab3d7764
Message ID: <199802241137.GAA12838@users.invweb.net>
Reply To: <34F21246.7B6B00A8@brainlink.com>
UTC Datetime: 1998-02-24 11:04:15 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 03:04:15 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: "William H. Geiger III" <whgiii@invweb.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 03:04:15 -0800 (PST)
To: sunder <sunder@brainlink.com>
Subject: Re: Five industry giants propose encryption plan to protect Hollywood

--Boundary..3989.1071713780.multipart/signed

In <34F21246.7B6B00A8@brainlink.com>, on 02/23/98
   at 07:20 PM, sunder <sunder@brainlink.com> said:

>Oh please.  You could always (for computers anyway) write your own
>drivers for video cards and sound cards that not only display stuff, but
>also save it to a hard drive as it's being recieved.  Whoop!

Well sitting down and writting a device driver is above and beyond the
ability of the average WinBlows user. More than likely it is above and
beyond the average "programmer" (ASM what's that??). M$ is already playing
around with using crypto and only allowing signed programs to run under
their OS (Crypto API, Active-X) it is not hard to imagine that they could
have the new version of their OS only allow device drivers that have been
approved and signed by microsoft (when you control +90% of the market you
can get away with silly shit like this).

> >   >   Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 11:13:50 -0800 (PST)
>> >   >   From: William Knowles <erehwon@dis.org>
>> >   >
>> >   >   BURBANK, Calif. (February 19, 1998 09:06 a.m. EST
>> >   >   http://www.nando.net) -- Five computer and electronics industry
>> >giants
>> >   >   have agreed on a strategy to prevent people from illegally copying
>> >   >   digital movies and music, the Los Angeles Times reported Thursday.
>> >   >
>> >   >   According to the proposal, high-definition TV sets, personal

>> Well I have gone over this in previous posts that right's management
>> woun't work against the bootlegers as at some time you have to display the
>> raw data to the user. what it will to is make things that much harder for
>> the average user.

>Exactly, it will probably require the average user to get involved in
>weird type in the 5th word of the 6th paragraph on page 60 in volume 6 of
>your  book and your ssn and your 3rd daughter's birth hour to display.
>But once displayed... it's yours.  Shit, things like Lotus ScreenCam can
>grab anything displayed on screen.

Yes but I wouldn't want to use ScreenCam to copy a 100 page document. My
point was it would not make it impossible to copy the data just that it
would raise the "threshold of pain" above what the average user is willing
to endure.

William H. Geiger III  http://users.invweb.net/~whgiii

OS/2 PGP 2.6.3a at: http://users.invweb.net/~whgiii/pgpmr2.html

Tag-O-Matic: OS/2, Windows/0

--Boundary..3989.1071713780.multipart/signed

LS0tLS1CRUdJTiBQR1AgTUVTU0FHRS0tLS0tClZlcnNpb246IDIuNi4zYS1z
aGExCkNvbW1lbnQ6IFJlZ2lzdGVyZWRfVXNlcl9FLVNlY3VyZV92MS4xYjFf
RVMwMDAwMDAKCmlRQ1ZBd1VBTlBLYlY0OUNvMW4rYUxoaEFRRllDQVAvVnBs
NkdFeDAyOEM0Q2FqdnBVUHF6U0pzVlBFeGcyaWIKanAvcEVYbG5EM1dMTHky
c204aSsycXl5WVQvSm5rQzBIUW42K3J3Wlo1MWNWeDBkemMvbEw2Zm40dXBW
WDJvWApiSnZheU1MRTdyejdBVzA2My9VZi92cWZiTEdIQjd4Q2I2MHU2SFFS
bG1oQ0ZVL05OTmZNM3VvSnplNVVDRkM1CmNvdS9sVE5VVHFBPQo9MUVMdQot
LS0tLUVORCBQR1AgTUVTU0FHRS0tLS0t
--Boundary..3989.1071713780.multipart/signed--

Thread