1998-02-04 - Re: The War on Some Debts

Header Data

From: Alan <alan@clueserver.org>
To: Eric Cordian <emc@wire.insync.net>
Message Hash: bd0240d8b301c19ebd92677bbdbb2b9bf5071e80ff06b81052abc794ce48110e
Message ID: <Pine.LNX.3.96.980203215746.589B-100000@www.ctrl-alt-del.com>
Reply To: <199802031640.KAA18766@wire.insync.net>
UTC Datetime: 1998-02-04 05:02:28 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 4 Feb 1998 13:02:28 +0800

Raw message

From: Alan <alan@clueserver.org>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 1998 13:02:28 +0800
To: Eric Cordian <emc@wire.insync.net>
Subject: Re: The War on Some Debts

On Tue, 3 Feb 1998, Eric Cordian wrote:

> In a further blatant erosion of Constitutional rights, the California
> Supreme Court has ruled that a person owing child support who fails to
> seek or accept work may be jailed and fined for contempt of court, and
> that this does not violate any Constitutional bans on involuntary
> servitude or imprisonment for debt.
>
> This reverses nearly a century of contrary rulings.  Look for this
> "improved" interpretation to be expanded to other kinds of debts and
> judgments as well, as soon as massive public acceptance of it for the
> carefully picked child support issue is engineered.

Expected targets:

-- Student loans  (There are already a number of nasty collection methods
made legal to "crack down" on those who are behind in their payments.)

-- State and local taxes

-- Garnishments of wages

> The credit card companies are no doubt carefully analyzing this decision
> as we speak.

As well as anyone else in the collections business.

alan@ctrl-alt-del.com | Note to AOL users: for a quick shortcut to reply
Alan Olsen            | to my mail, just hit the ctrl, alt and del keys.

Thread