1998-02-21 - Re: No Real Debate Yet on the War

Header Data

From: Bill Stewart <bill.stewart@pobox.com>
To: “William H. Geiger III” <csm70830@port.ac.uk>
Message Hash: fe20682f41954a925401b5c470dcdf68c212d852858aa12db47f6dddd9ce2582
Message ID: <3.0.5.32.19980220092346.008dd590@popd.ix.netcom.com>
Reply To: <89B3250098@ou20.csm.port.ac.uk>
UTC Datetime: 1998-02-21 04:40:08 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 21 Feb 1998 12:40:08 +0800

Raw message

From: Bill Stewart <bill.stewart@pobox.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 1998 12:40:08 +0800
To: "William H. Geiger III" <csm70830@port.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: No Real Debate Yet on the War

>>The more American, British, Australian, French etc. troops that die  in
>>the Gulf War II (tm), the more the western world will realise that  war
>>involves losses and that we cannot go on policing the world.

As with the previous round of Desert Scam, very few invaders will die,
because the military objective is to cause mass destruction, not to
conquer and hold.  And the press will focus on the invaders that die,
not on the tens or hundreds of thousands of Iraqis killed.

>Well if the US was to really take the moral HighGround on this they would
>be bombing France and Germany for supplying them with CBW supplies for
>years.

They'd also be focusing on the great job they've done eliminating the
entire US stock of CBW and nukes.  Oh, we haven't?  Well their weapons
of mass destruction are Evil, and ours are Freedom Fighting Tools.
Actually the US and Former Soviet Union have substantially reduced the
nuclear forces, especially older missiles that are hard to maintain,
but the US refused for a long time to sign the CBW treaties,
and I'm not sure they ever did follow through and destroy their supplies.
				Thanks!
					Bill
Bill Stewart, bill.stewart@pobox.com