1998-02-15 - Re: The Octopus and America as the Evil Empire

Header Data

From: bill.stewart@pobox.com
To: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Message Hash: fe3dd07d1e9a951167ca74ce3368e8e99c03f1da6bf9c2650a83a3265553eb3c
Message ID: <3.0.5.32.19980215011846.008b9320@popd.ix.netcom.com>
Reply To: <v03102802b10b83784f0d@[24.234.31.57]>
UTC Datetime: 1998-02-15 22:26:20 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 15 Feb 1998 14:26:20 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: bill.stewart@pobox.com
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 1998 14:26:20 -0800 (PST)
To: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Subject: Re: The Octopus and America as the Evil Empire

At 10:58 AM 2/14/98 -0800, you wrote:
>(I was told by a usually reliable source that AT&T rerouted some of their
>Long Lines to cross Indian reservations...thus allowing interception by the
>TLAs without violating the laws about domestic surveillance. Is this true?
>I haven't done any research to try to verify this, but it wouldn't surprise
>me. The UK-USA agreement is already a way to circumvent the "no domestic
>surveillance without a court order" laws, as we all know by now.)

I haven't a clue who to ask, but it would surprise me a bit.
	[#disclaimer: personal opinion only, not AT&T's]
If it was done, it would have been for microwave lines,
which are mostly obsolete except in places like
Southern Utah and parts of Montana and the Dakotas which
don't have enough population density to justify replacing with fiber.
Much more likely they were routed through reservations for
cheap right of way.  Most of the routes have been pretty stable
for a long time, because of right-of-way issues, and many of them
date from back before the FBI and CIA worried about little details
like Constitutionality and different rules on Indian reservations.

				Thanks!
					Bill
Bill Stewart, bill.stewart@pobox.com