1998-03-10 - Re: EU plans decryption ban

Header Data

From: Weld Pond <weld@skywriting.com>
To: Dave Emery <die@die.com>
Message Hash: 181557ad8a551d68e80830df125ab871acf5967f5d5731be32e1ff202c1e3a58
Message ID: <Pine.LNX.3.96.980310130619.11727A-100000@skywriting.com>
Reply To: <19980309212946.23723@die.com>
UTC Datetime: 1998-03-10 18:23:53 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 10:23:53 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Weld Pond <weld@skywriting.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 10:23:53 -0800 (PST)
To: Dave Emery <die@die.com>
Subject: Re: EU plans decryption ban

On Mon, 9 Mar 1998, Dave Emery wrote:

> 	In the US there is not yet a ban on exchange of information
> because of the potential first amendment issues, but there are (and have
> been since the late 1980s)  felony level bans with $500,000 fines for
> each incident  on the manufacture, assembly, modification, import,
> export, sale and distribution of any device or equipment primarily of
> assistance in the unauthorized decryption of satellite cable programming
> or direct to home satellite.

There is a law in Pennsylvania that bans the distribution of "plans or
instructions" for devices or modifications of devices that can be used for
theft of services. Full text at:

http://moose.erie.net/~italo/sb0655p0687.html

Excerpt:

    10         (2)  sells, possesses, distributes, gives or otherwise
    11     transfers to another[,] or offers, promotes or advertises for
    12     sale [any instrument, apparatus, equipment or device
    13     described in paragraph (1) of this subsection,] any:
    14             (i)  unlawful telecommunication device, or plans or
    15         instructions for making or assembling the same, under
    16         circumstances evidencing an intent to use or employ such
    17         [instrument, apparatus, equipment or] unlawful
    18         telecommunication device, or to allow the same to be used
    19         or employed for a purpose described in paragraph (1) [of
    20         this subsection], or knowing or having reason to believe
    21         that the same is intended to be so used, or that the
    22         aforesaid plans or instructions are intended to be used
    23         for making or assembling such [instrument, apparatus,
    24         equipment or device.] unlawful telecommunication device;
    25         or

At the L0pht we distribute a CD that contains plenty of technical data
for modifying telecommunications equipment and for building your own from
easily obtained parts.  We do not ship our CD to Pennsylvania due to this
law since we cannot be assured that the intent of the purchaser is not to
defraud a telecommunication service provider.  Since information can be
used for good or bad we are pretty sure that some of the purchasers from
Penn will use this information illegally.  This goes against everything
the L0pht stands for but we do not have the resources to fight this in
court.

Weld Pond
weld@l0pht.com
http://www.l0pht.com/~weld