1998-03-09 - RE: Crypto as contraband

Header Data

From: David Honig <honig@otc.net>
To: die@die.com>
Message Hash: 5061a206a29936dc0627c46c342bf7022b249367410568ce75fca2bc7fd77cb4
Message ID: <3.0.5.32.19980309094018.007be4f0@otc.net>
Reply To: <19980306231001.53809@die.com>
UTC Datetime: 1998-03-09 18:05:41 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 9 Mar 1998 10:05:41 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: David Honig <honig@otc.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 1998 10:05:41 -0800 (PST)
To: die@die.com>
Subject: RE: Crypto as contraband

>> 	So yes, they have done at least as bad a thing to people who
>> merely want to tinker with their radios and occasionally explore what is
>> out there in the ether by passively and in private receiving radio
>> signals as they have to gun owners,

The morons in congress responded to intercepts of cellphones.  Because
Newt was scanned.  Response: outlaw *cellphones*... which are
themselves typically programmable as scanners of cell freqs.  And scanners
and programmable RF receivers.

Someone should pick up a congresscritter's monitor (a la van Eyk), then let
them
make fools of themselves banning television receivers... as video tempest
receiving gear...

[NB: since television Ch 83 overlaps with a cell-phone channel, TVs are
already illegal
under this law, no?  Selling an old analog b/w TV is now punishable by 1/2
million fine... ]

Are they going to ban IR lasers since they can be used to listen to window
vibration?

Remember Tacitus.

      David Honig                   Orbit Technology
     honig@otc.net                  Intaanetto Jigyoubu

"I do believe that where there is a choice only between cowardice and
    violence, I would advise violence." Mahatma Gandhi

Thread