1998-03-20 - Re: reference

Header Data

From: Bob Roberts <roberts@traderonline.com>
To: “cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: 73a512c3728cf4057c36aa0422b20ee11e53888fbaeafc6a640d89f24071f9c8
Message ID: <3512C840.85AA5E9D@traderonline.com>
Reply To: <v04003a36b136e6994efd@[139.167.130.246]>
UTC Datetime: 1998-03-20 19:41:53 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 11:41:53 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Bob Roberts <roberts@traderonline.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 11:41:53 -0800 (PST)
To: "cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject: Re: reference

Dave Emery wrote:

>         I'll bite, how ?   Crypto is not a destructive weapon - it may
> blind the opponent, perhaps even sometimes at critical times when that
> can induce him to behave dangerously - but I fail to see how a cipher in
> and of itself is a weapon of destruction, let alone mass destruction.  I
> see crypto as an entirely defensive weapon with no potential to destroy
> anything (except perhaps data when the key gets lost or forgotten).

    Imagine in the new realm of white collar crime, individuals are only convicted
because of evidence.  Evidence that can't be decrypted cannot be used.  I see that
going back to defense, but on the wrong side.

Thread