1998-03-14 - Re: time to export RSA and demand to be prosecuted? (Re: Cypherpunks Crypto_Legal Assistance Fund)

Header Data

From: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
To: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Message Hash: b93e040cacfb754bcd9cbeb06454b9eee93041ad63ba351c5abc63cd4beb6d7f
Message ID: <1.5.4.32.19980314235201.00690500@pop.pipeline.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1998 15:50:49 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1998 15:50:49 -0800 (PST)
To: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Subject: Re: time to export RSA and demand to be prosecuted? (Re: Cypherpunks Crypto_Legal Assistance Fund)

Declan wrote:

>If anyone chooses to try this act of civil disobedience, let me know and
>I'll write about it. But be warned: the Department of Commerce has
>approximately 60 special agents who enforce violations of export rules.
>These are federal police officers, stationed in field office around the
>U.S., with badges and arrest power, trained at FLETC in Georgia. They don't
>have a sense of humor about these things.

Well, yes, that's what BXA flaunts, but I wonder if the encryption regs
are a high priority compared to the cases which are actually pursued
which deal with truly threatening technology that every congressperson
loves to fearfully hate. Yapping Chihuahua crypto is not up there yet,
I suspect.

True, there's a batch of agents being trained to work specifically on
encryption, and with the total of crypto exports now exceeding $half a
billion, it may be cost and politically effective to set an example by
pounding one or two neo-crypto-Zimmermanns, especially as the
year's hearings rumble, troll and slumber.

Still, Adam's signature RSA-taunt has been on our Web site for months,
terminating each of his exemplary stream of messages on low perfidy
in high places, to no effect on BXA's eagle eyeball.

Adam's 3-liner was also once part of Peter Junger's legal filings
<http://jya.com/pdj4.htm> (DoJ downloaded the evidence) until we
were ordered to excise the tiny terrible Perl so that Peter's noble
bite of the hand of god would be clearly his stiletto fangs and not
confused with Sir Adam Bulldog's ass ripper.

Now, Declan, what would a crypto-miscreant need to do to actually get
BXA's fierce kennel of crypto bloodhounds' attention, to make it truly
worth everybody's headline read, money, politics, talents and teeth?

By Tuesday, when Cindy Cohn sticks her head in the beast's mouth.

Thread