1998-03-19 - Re: Will New Sendmail Block Remailers?

Header Data

From: Yupin Mungdee <snickers@mejl.com>
To: Bill Frantz <frantz@netcom.com>
Message Hash: e5f3739f3020ce48294fe809926a5a5d0ff802f6ff97d7bed960dd52a87f4e8d
Message ID: <Pine.SOL.3.96.980319045525.2632A-100000@rigel.cyberpass.net>
Reply To: <v03110765b1367c65ccd4@[207.94.249.79]>
UTC Datetime: 1998-03-19 13:09:12 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 05:09:12 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Yupin Mungdee <snickers@mejl.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 05:09:12 -0800 (PST)
To: Bill Frantz <frantz@netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Will New Sendmail Block Remailers?

> >All it really does is force spammers to search for someone's real address
> >to spoof and harass.  (They can just scan usenet, and pick on random
> >people if they want..)
>
> The ultimate end of this line of measure/countermeasure is code that sniffs
> out peoples passwords so spammers can "borrow" their accounts to send a
> million or so messages.

But that can be defeated with encryption.

Another possible "ultimate end" for the spammer wars would be making
spamming illegal, like fax spamming, and having the cops hunting down the
spammers. But that can be defeated with truly anonymous markets, still
assuming that encryption will be legal.

To really beat spamming we probably need filters that only allow messages
from inside our web of trust. Don't you agree?

Thread