1998-03-20 - Re: Does Spamming Really Exist? / Re: Will New Sendmail Block Remailers?

Header Data

From: Ian Briggs <ian@deepwell.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: fdc76437e0436b5acc47e8d8626ffbeefcab660a818a36f8c580b1908393d502
Message ID: <3.0.3.32.19980319142712.0095f1e8@deepwell.com>
Reply To: <3512E780.5FBD@dev.null>
UTC Datetime: 1998-03-20 22:32:06 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 14:32:06 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Ian Briggs <ian@deepwell.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 14:32:06 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Does Spamming Really Exist? / Re: Will New Sendmail Block Remailers?

>> Spamming is an 'imaginary' felony, as are anonymity and encryption.

No, its actually theft of services.

Imagine if I called you collect anytime I was out and about and your phone
automatically accepted the charge.  Then I spent a couple minutes filling
you in on my day, and how I felt.

The end of the month you get a couple hundred dollar collect bill.

Not to mention that you don't have call waiting and there may have been
important phone calls that will have to call back later.

Then imagine I stole your cell phone to call you collect while I roamed
around other cities and filled you in on how I felt about the day so far.

And you used your Cell phone for work, and lots of people were calling you
but you weren't getting the messages, and you ended up loosing customers.

1.  ISP pay for bandwidth.
	If your outside the US 128Kbps lines can go upwards of several thousand 	a
month.
2.  Spammers relay through other ISP mail servers.
	This usually kills their mail server, or they get added to Paul Vixie's
blackhole list.
3.  It wastes ISP time.
	ISP get dozens of complaints a day and have to explain to every newbie
exactly what spam is, why they got it, etc. etc.

I know, im an ISP.

Ian

Thread