1998-04-22 - Re: Position escrow

Header Data

From: “Marcus J. Ranum” <mjr@nfr.net>
To: Phil Karn <die@die.com
Message Hash: 1acc529e9832f6569a3f4fe28b69604f72698dc479c6fe838abb4673fdae6d04
Message ID: <3.0.3.32.19980422014512.0069aa8c@mail.clark.net>
Reply To: <19980417175445.54922@die.com>
UTC Datetime: 1998-04-22 06:01:27 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 23:01:27 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: "Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr@nfr.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 23:01:27 -0700 (PDT)
To: Phil Karn <die@die.com
Subject: Re: Position escrow

>I expect the main countermeasure to cellular position tracking will be
>the use of one-way pagers. Keep your cell phone turned off, and if you
>get a page when you're someplace you don't want them to know, wait
>until you leave before you return the page.

The best countermeasure is to reduce its usefulness to law enforcement
by reducing its success rate. If there's enough press coverage of the
fact that the capability exists, then clueful crooks will not use
cell phones. Just like with escrowed crypto, you'll only catch the
really DUMB terrorists. All technology aside, the best way to make
progress in this area would be if the next James Bond movie shows
the capability being used. Then even clueless crooks and drug dealers
will do the equivalent of "gosh, well, I saw it on TV!" and will
believe the threat. Hmmmm.... Makes me think that a great way to make
progress is for cypherpunks to start submitting scripts to hollywood
about presidents who get in massive trouble when their personal
communications are subpoenaed and crypto keys are de-escrowed to
prove that they had sex with office staff....

Nah, that's too stupid...

mjr.
--
Marcus J. Ranum, CEO, Network Flight Recorder, Inc.
work - http://www.nfr.net

Thread