1998-04-13 - NSA Elint Memoir

Header Data

From: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 1f3a83dd38c9f55c77bf1e8b783b58b8e05cd0f942033f77dd5fef36432aa184
Message ID: <199804131630.MAA15173@camel7.mindspring.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 09:30:11 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 09:30:11 -0700 (PDT)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: NSA Elint Memoir

One of the earliest reports on NSA's global electronic
interception program appeared in Ramparts magazine
in 1972, which published a lengthy interview with a
young former NSA analyst, "U.S. Electronic Espionage:
A Memoir":

   http://jya.com/nsa-elint.htm  (84K)

James Bamford, Duncan Campbell, Nicky Hager and others
have since confirmed what the analyst revealed then and
greatly extended what was at the time doubted as a young
man's anti-war exaggeration.

NSA, according to Bamford, decided to not prosecute in the
hope that no one would believe such astonishing claims of
electronic violation of friends and foes. See The Puzzle Palace,
p. 334 (paper editon).

Bamford says Perry Fellwock was the name of the anonymous
analyst, first called Winslow Peck, a pseudonym. Would anyone
happen to know where Fellwock is these days? That's on the
assumption that Fellwock is not a deeper pseudo than Peck.

What knocked me over was Fellwock saying that the location of
the NSA training school was at Goodfellow Air Force Base,
San Angelo, Texas, from whence this counterspy originates.
We were told the base was mothballed, kept pickled only for
local pork.

No doubt, NSA was never there, and "Fellwock" was just
continuing to do his disinfo job via Ramparts.

Thread