1998-04-28 - Re: Position escrow (and how to defeat it)

Header Data

From: Illuminatus Primus <vermont@gate.net>
To: Jonathan Wienke <JonWienk@ix.netcom.com>
Message Hash: c1e48684f842eba7212aacf64377a8c8bd328d17246ffda1e66e595b03f979c7
Message ID: <Pine.LNX.3.96.980427192424.24362A-100000@oto.gate.net>
Reply To: <3.0.3.32.19980422104042.02f10a40@popd.netcruiser>
UTC Datetime: 1998-04-28 00:41:39 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 17:41:39 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: Illuminatus Primus <vermont@gate.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 17:41:39 -0700 (PDT)
To: Jonathan Wienke <JonWienk@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Position escrow (and how to defeat it)

On Wed, 22 Apr 1998, Jonathan Wienke wrote:

> Regardless of the type of phone, the cell stations can be designed to do
> time-of-arrival comparisons on the signal transmitted from the phone and
> calculate a reasonably accurate position.  If you don't want your location
> known, don't transmit.

Or, delay the return signal and use a paraboloid reflector.  This would
limit a spy's knowledge to the angle from the tower that you were
transmitting from, and the maximum distance from the tower that you could
be sitting at.  The paraboloid reflector would limit the ability for
someone to triangulate your location, depending on how narrow the beam is
focused.. Of course, if they really wanted to find you, they would walk
along the line of transmission until they ran right into you :).

Sure, the average joe is not going to go to the trouble of modifying his
cell phone and using a paraboloid reflector.. and even if he did, a
remailer type of system would be much more secure.  I guess the average
unaware joe is just going to have to get used to being shafted as a result
of his ignorance.  Isn't that how it's always been?

Question: How could true anarchy be guaranteed for stupid people like Joe?
>From an atheistic viewpoint, it could be said that the natural state of
the universe is anarchy; the current situation is a result of that
anarchy.

What me worry..

Thread