1998-04-23 - Re: Position escrow

Header Data

From: “Dan Todd” <dantodd@dnai.com>
To: “Phil Karn” <Geraint.Price@cl.cam.ac.uk>
Message Hash: fe50e35ffee2816e32be9a99c5ebef3b01f537f05fe1771ed43f50fcdc5d643f
Message ID: <002f01bd6ee0$67bcd480$026610ac@danhome.dnai.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 10:52:42 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: "Dan Todd" <dantodd@dnai.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 10:52:42 -0700 (PDT)
To: "Phil Karn" <Geraint.Price@cl.cam.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Position escrow

There is a similar (probably a number of them) service in parts of the US.
While visiting Michigan recently I saw a wireless phone with a "calling
card" from a company called Isis.  It appeared to be an anonymous, pre-paid
cellular phone but I didn't investigate to see if it runs on standard
cellular or if they ask for and verify personal information upon purchase.
I've also seen this product advertised on DSS (I don't recall what market)
and the commercial seems to support this as an anonymous service.

I guess the advantages are that is wouldn't give up any identifying
information while still allowing for tracking in an emergency.

cheers,
dan