1998-05-14 - ANNOUNCE: FreeS/WAN IPSEC & IKE version 0.8 released & useful!

Header Data

From: Hugh Daniel <hugh@road.toad.com>
To: linux-ipsec@clinet.fi
Message Hash: 2035c70b662088829f22c997cf176bfd067942b1e151e95b3428d6ce634a7a9c
Message ID: <199805142156.OAA24052@road.toad.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 14:57:25 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: Hugh Daniel <hugh@road.toad.com>
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 14:57:25 -0700 (PDT)
To: linux-ipsec@clinet.fi
Subject: ANNOUNCE:  FreeS/WAN IPSEC & IKE version 0.8 released & useful!

  I would like to announce for the FreeS/WAN software team that they
now have a freeswan-0.8 release available for download from the
FreeS/WAN home page at:
	  http://www.xs4all.nl/~freeswan

  The 0.8 (and target 1.0 in June) runs only in a VPN (tunnel) mode,
protecting and encrypting net traffic for a subnet behind the SG.
This setup is called a SG for Security Gateway.  We plan on
implementing the rest of the IPSEC and IKE draft standards in our 2.0
release later this summer for the 2.1.xxx and 2.2.xx series Linux
kernels.

  There is some useful documentation for the current FreeS/WAN done by
Kai Martius at:
    http://www.imib.med.tu-dresden.de/imib/Internet/index.html

  The 0.8 release has been tested extensively in the hand keyed
ESP-3DES-HMAC-MD5-96 tunnel mode and is quite robust.  On a 150Mhz 586
Clone PC TCP throughput is over 320 Kbytes/second sustained as
measured by netperf.
  The IKE daemon pluto has been tested only a very little and
sometimes works and sometimes does not.  It will work for the simple
VPN case before 1.0.

  Feedback, new features, documentation, scripts and bug fixes &
reports are especially useful in the next few weeks before we start in
on the 0.9x series of release working up to a stable 1.0 release in
June.  Don't wait for the last minute to submit that neat feature or
bug fix, as we might not have time to include it!

  If you have questions about the project please see our home page
where you will find a mail list, list archives, FTP directory's etc.
  Thanks to everyone who made this release possible, but mostly the
people who coded it up!

  Please post all bugs, fixes, code etc. to the public email list at
<linux-ipsec@clinet.fi>.

		||ugh Daniel
		hugh@toad.com
			Systems Testing & Project mis-Management
			The Linux FreeS/WAN Project
			http://www.xs4all.nl/~freeswan

Thread