1998-05-12 - Re:”… would cause us to look at this person as a threat”

Header Data

From: StanSqncrs <StanSqncrs@aol.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 2e5141f8a9440337b30e8bc1f4ba9bbb690f2491f4ea186f12059dbcaf68f74c
Message ID: <23d07d72.3558d3d9@aol.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 15:58:15 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: StanSqncrs <StanSqncrs@aol.com>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 15:58:15 -0700 (PDT)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re:"... would cause us to look at this person as a threat"

In a message dated 5/12/98 4:37:47 PM Central Daylight Time,
ptrei@securitydynamics.com writes:

<< ... Considering it's content, I have no doubt that it is manufactured - it
 carefully written to offend millenialist Christians, such as the SDAs.
 I've written the page owner to see if I can find out more. ... >>

Not only that, it seems to be "spam" (the repetitive list type).  You see 2
days ago we welcomed a guest to my list (FreeGroup), and in his first batch,
guess what was there.  Another FreeGroupie had a great response to it, I
include it -
=====
... writes:

> Well howdy 'yall, i'm mighty proud to have someone to chat wdith and share
>  ideas and some news, both good and bad.
>  here's some bad news to start off the day
>
>  RE: Janet Reno, Attorney General of these United States of America
>
>  Subject: Janet Reno Quote
>  > Date: Wednesday, May 06, 1998 10:54
>  >
>  > A friend sent me this...sure would like to see the interview in context,
>  > but at any rate a very scary statement.
>  >
>  > Subject: Cults and Government?
>  >
>  > "Just ran across this quote from AG Janet Reno. From a person of such
>  > high power, these are scary words. --------- "

<snip - the "spam">

>  > "-Attorney General Janet Reno, Interview on 60 Minutes, June 26,
>  > 1994"
>  >

Bad *NEWS*???  This purports to be an item that's nearly 4 years old.  What's
the news?  I guess the news is that we're getting this 3rd hand--at a minimum,
with no idea if it's true or not.  But hey!  This is the internet.  So, again,
I ask, *NEWS*????

Bad beginning, Sir Will.  The willingness to pass along material of dubious
authenticity is not a good sign in my book. As Mr. Natural would say, "Check
your source."  So, what *IS* your source?
=====
Thanks for your excellent research on the origins of that, Peter!

Stan,
FreeGroup - "Just Say It!"
http://members.aol.com/WhtsAMetaU/freegroup.html

Thread