1998-05-11 - Re: [Fwd: 3Com switches - undocumented access level.]

Header Data

From: die@die.com
To: Sunder <sunder@brainlink.com>
Message Hash: 5fc6b6ebeb2c657331e295748604471072dc6683a5d5cf3da4d12c6275d03fdf
Message ID: <19980511165629.B17830@die.com>
Reply To: <Pine.BSF.3.91.980509032901.17424A-100000@mcfeely.bsfs.org>
UTC Datetime: 1998-05-11 20:55:42 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 13:55:42 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: die@die.com
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 13:55:42 -0700 (PDT)
To: Sunder <sunder@brainlink.com>
Subject: Re: [Fwd: 3Com switches - undocumented access level.]

On Mon, May 11, 1998 at 10:50:17AM -0400, Sunder wrote:
> Dave Emery wrote:
>
> >         This is not that uncommon.   We implemented such a backdoor in a
> > router I worked on the design of some years ago.   The magic password
> > was a function of the model and serial number of the machine (not as I
> > remember a very strong hash either), and different for all boxes.  We
> > (or rather the marketing and support people) felt that leaving a
> > customer who forgot his password with no option but reset the router to
> > its factory defaults was more undesirable than providing a potential
> > attack point for  sophisticated hackers and spooks
>
> This is still unexcusable.  It would have been just as simple to include a
> hidden reset switch in a pannel somewhere that would zap all the passwords
> on the router without zapping the config, and maybe send some alarms out
> via SNMP incase it wasn't something that was wanted.

	It took a great deal of earnest debate to get any kind of reset
switch implemented at all - they cost some amount of money and room in
the box, and there were those who held that having a switch there could
invite nervous diddlers to reset the machine causing a crash.   So having
several was harder to sell.  We eventually settled on two, one which would
reset to defaults when pressed at the same time as the other which simply
rebooted.   The need to reset a box whose configuration was terminally
screwed up to factory defaults was acutely felt by the support people,
who had to pay a lot to swap out or service onsite a box that someone had
misconfigured so it wouldn't talk to its serial ports (which was
unfortunately possible).

	I don't think those of us who were not happy with the backdoor
would have been much happier with a switch that just magicly reset
passwords, since that would have allowed someone with a moments
unguarded physical access to the box in a wiring closet somewhere to get
in (perhaps hours later from a safe haven via the network) without
necessarily causing a  disruption that might be noticed and investigated
(and not everyone back then had reliable SNMP management and alarms
running).  The solution we chose forced someone with that kind of
transient physical accesss to completely take the machine off line for
minutes or hours while restoring the configuration which was much
likelier to be observed (and required the intruder know the old
configuration in the first place).  We felt this made our reset switches
less of a hazard from 30 second quicky attacks - attacks much easier
to pull off than having enough time connected to the box on a terminal
or laptop to restore the old configuration.

> >         I suspect that a large fraction of alarms, security systems,
> > pbxs and the like incorperate such backdoors for precisely the same
> > kinds of reasons - it is simply too catastrophic to reset everything
> > if someone forgets the password.   I know several commercial Unixes
> > had such backdoors in them for emergency access years ago, and wouldn't
> > be overwhelmingly surprised if some current OS's still have magic backdoors.
>
> That doesn't mean that the ankle biters won't find them.  For example, I could
> put a sniffer on the network coming into the router and call up tech support
> and say "Hi" I lost my password, here's my IP address, help, help.

	No doubt.   Generally there was some minimal effort to ensure
that the person calling tech support was legit (callbacks, lists of
contact names and so forth) but there is probably little doubt that a
clever social engineer could perhaps have gotten a box password that
way - although there would certainly have been a trail left that could
have been followed.   For the paraniod we encouraged use of dial up
modems on the console port rather than network access.

> I can then do the same thing a week later with the same router incase the
> hash is time dependant, and then later with another router with a different
> serial number, and I'll have much info to get started on how your hash works.
>
> Piece of cake.

	Calling up for emergency help with lost passwords was
fortunately not a very common occurance, and generally was noted and
investigated. While our hash wasn't wonderful, I don't think it would
have been easy to obtain enough password/router pairs by calling tech
support to break it that way.  Would have been much easier to obtain a box
and disassemble the code.   And that would have left no trail.

--
	Dave Emery N1PRE,  die@die.com  DIE Consulting, Weston, Mass.
PGP fingerprint = 2047/4D7B08D1 DE 6E E1 CC 1F 1D 96 E2  5D 27 BD B0 24 88 C3 18

Thread