1998-05-11 - Re: U.S. Navy caught hacking into British marine charity Web site

Header Data

From: Bill Frantz <frantz@netcom.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: e49ad8733705dee2bef97e840677dad0ca580c3c4ff50e22bfda4a4566a119de
Message ID: <v03110702b17c33e3bb04@[207.94.249.48]>
Reply To: <3554E2BF.5C3E2646@whitehouse.gov>
UTC Datetime: 1998-05-11 03:59:51 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 20:59:51 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: Bill Frantz <frantz@netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 20:59:51 -0700 (PDT)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: U.S. Navy caught hacking into British marine charity Web site

At 3:11 PM -0800 5/9/98, Spam the President wrote:
>It wouldn't make any sense. Why would a hacker use a military
>site that is actively monitored to hack into a site with less security?

Consider the wonderful irony of hacking into some site and having the blame
go somewhere else.

Consider a somewhat different circumstance.  I was recently in Organ Pipe
Cactus National Monument.  The southern border of the monument runs across
the US/Mexico border.  One of the stops on the tourist drive around the
monument is a parking lot 40 feet from a broken gate in the fence that
marks the border.  There is a large sign there suggesting that people not
leave their cars because of recent breakins.  There was also broken auto
glass on the ground.

Now, if I were breaking into cars, I would pick that parking lot, rather
than others further north, in hopes that everyone would blame the Mexicans.
Don't think I am sure that the Mexicans are not responsible, just that I
see a chance for some US lowlifes to deflect the blame.

I see the same opportunity in using a hacked Navy computer to hack a marine
mammal site.  It may be the Navy, or it may be a hacker with a polished
sense of irony.

Bill Frantz       | If hate must be my prison  | Periwinkle -- Consulting
(408)356-8506     | lock, then love must be    | 16345 Englewood Ave.
frantz@netcom.com | the key.     - Phil Ochs   | Los Gatos, CA 95032, USA

Thread