1998-06-01 - Re: Lack of net access blows:

Header Data

From: Interstate 95 <I95@nym.alias.net>
To: <cypherpunks@Algebra.COM>
Message Hash: 179e03ea834815e7ab9278c8973ec69eb4f8bc3eb1f122d3e410dfa83b76adfa
Message ID: <19980601001615.23933.qmail@nym.alias.net>
Raw Date: Mon, 1 Jun 1998 08:19:55 +0800

Raw message

From: Interstate 95 <I95@nym.alias.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 1998 08:19:55 +0800
To: <cypherpunks@Algebra.COM>
Subject: Re: Lack of net access blows:

On Thu, 28 May 1998, Nalus Optic wrote:

> Cyberpunks,
>
> 	Que pasa?  My name is D and I am new to the list...I will most
> likely just be lurking for a while, till I get a visit from the Duel
> Pentium II 266, 128megs of RAM, running Linux on one PII and Win98 on the
> Other Fariy...She should be along by the end of the summer...

You mean one machine with dual processors? You can't run two operating
systems concurrently on an SMP machine. You can install two operating
systems and choose which one to run, of course.

> 	Anywhoo, the point of the subject is that at this point and time
> I don't have net access so I was hopeing someone out there would send me
> the FAQ that is talked of in the welcome message.  It can be found at:
>
> 	anonymous ftp to rtfm.mit.edu:pub/usenet-by-group/sci.crypt
>
> 	At least I think that is where it is at...
>
> 	I thank who ever is nice enough to send it to me...Also, maybe
> post a message to me as soon as you send it...That way I don't end up
> with like all of you sending it and Juno kicking my ass again for
> flooding there box.

This is complicated by the fact that there are several FAQs in that
directory. One, combined, is 100K. Juno has a message limit of around 64K,
meaning that the FAQ would have to be split, and I don't know what the
upper limit is on the size of a mailspool at Juno.

My suggestion is to sneak into a public university computer lab, sit down
at a machine then FTP it and put it on a floppy. Most of the people in
these labs don't ask questions because getting carded tends to really tick
the students off. If they do, say you left your ID card in your car, that
you're very sorry, that you usually don't get asked for it when you walk
in, that you're taking <professor's name> <name of one of his CS classes>
class, that you only need about 5 minutes of time, and that you'll
remember it next time.

Thread