1998-06-08 - Re: Campaign Against Global War on Drugs

Header Data

From: Mark Hedges <hedges@infonex.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 901353ff321901e0b5c23ad95edc1421fdf5dd9336a1c883640f1f3899cdc65d
Message ID: <v03130303b1a1a64f03da@[209.75.197.31]>
Reply To: <199806081608.MAA00773@camel14.mindspring.com>
UTC Datetime: 1998-06-08 21:56:39 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 14:56:39 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: Mark Hedges <hedges@infonex.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 14:56:39 -0700 (PDT)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Campaign Against Global War on Drugs

And Marijuana remains California's number one cash crop as long as it is
illegal... documented way back when by Dukmejian's (sp) agriculture
secretary, whom he fired after the report. The cops cite you, confiscate it
and smoke it, and everyone's happy because they're all making $480 per
ounce from the end consumer on this crazy gene-engineered greenbud
designed, catalogued, and bred by the University of California biology
departments (esp. Santa Cruz). If it were legal, tobacco shops would stock
joints for a tenth the price... they need new markets with the stricter
tobacco legislation; maybe there's a lobby. I watched Dennis Peron battle
it out with some meat-fisted guy from the Sherrifs' orgs in Congress. The
cop went on about how

"if we decriminalize marijuana, marijuana would no longer be illegal"

and attempted to justify its classification with crack, methamphetamines
and heroin. He and Peron were two extremes. Peron, who drove the medical
marijuana bill and is also gay, runs under the republican ticket. So, I
voted for him in the open primary to screw up their statist ics. I had fun
with that open primary.

--mark--
-hedges-

>The New York Times today has a two-page ad:
>
>"We believe the global war on drugs is now causing
>more harm than drug abuse itself," with a letter to UN
>Secretary General Annan signed by hundreds
>from around the world, across the political spectrum.
>Web site for list and invitation to sign:
>
>   http://www.lindesmith.org/news/un.html
>
>Public Letter to Kofi Annan
>
>             June 1, 1998
>
>             Mr. Kofi Annan
>             Secretary General
>             United Nations
>             New York, New York
>             United States
>
>             Dear Secretary General,
>
>             On the occasion of the United Nations General Assembly Special
>             Session on Drugs in New York on June 8-10, 1998, we seek your
>             leadership in stimulating a frank and honest evaluation of global
>             drug control efforts.

Thread