1998-07-07 - RE: Junger et al.

Header Data

From: nobody@REPLAY.COM (Anonymous)
To: cryptography@c2.net
Message Hash: 30cb55d6a0cf735c97ed363e792ba4aad38d09028416cfc4438b017bfdeed233
Message ID: <199807071841.UAA18158@basement.replay.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 11:41:03 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: nobody@REPLAY.COM (Anonymous)
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 11:41:03 -0700 (PDT)
To: cryptography@c2.net
Subject: RE: Junger et al.

Nevermind that source code is suppose to be "human readable" material that
is _translated_ into function instructions of machine code.

A play is normally considered 'protected' free speech under US law, but
what if robot was created which acted out the play and Gwin's argument was
extended to apply the situtation where a play performed. Would the play
itself no longer be a protected form of free speech, because it is seen as
"functional" instructions to the robot actor? Would the playwrite become
responsible for the robot's actions, such as killing a character/actor?

As a programmer, I have "acted out" source code myself, as part of the
debugging process. It is normally called "a walkthrough," so the difference
between source code and a play is not as broad as some people may view it.
I have followed the source code like a script, acting out the instructions
like stage directions in a play.

Does it matter who might 'read' the material, in regards to the protection
of free speech? Whether it is written so that Russians or computers might
be able to read it? If source code is written on a napkin, it can be
currently exported, but what if tomorrow a vendor announces a 'napkin
computer' which can directly read from napkins akin to a super-low densiy
floppy disc.

At 07:20 PM 7/6/98 -0700, Ernest Hua wrote:
>Did anyone demonstrate the "functionalness" of any arbitrary language
>via a scanner and a compiler?
>
>Why doesn't Gwin understand that the moment one successfully claims that
>a specific class of source code is not speech by the virtue of the fact
>that a compiler can transform it automatically into executable code
>which performs a function, then ANY speech of ANY sort is fundamentally
>vulnerable to being classified as functional as soon as a compiler can
>transform it into real machine code.
>
>Ern

Thread