1998-07-12 - DirFBI: Danger of Encryption

Header Data

From: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 3c0b6ed0280187a53d83e8070746c56659d62940055adf30104365c420190925
Message ID: <199807121538.LAA18345@camel14.mindspring.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 12 Jul 1998 08:38:25 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 1998 08:38:25 -0700 (PDT)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: DirFBI: Danger of Encryption

The New York Times, July 12, 1998:

Danger of Encryption

To the Editor:

Re "Privacy in the Digital Age" (editorial, July 6): No law
enforcement agency is "trying hard to prevent the growing
use of encryption." But encryption represents a serious
public safety concern. We are open to any solution that
recognizes that it is the ability to collect electronic
evidence that has allowed us to prevent airliners from
being bombed and to put major drug dealers behind bars.

Key escrow is one possible solution. There are others, and
certainly a statutory scheme can be devised that will all
but eliminate any risk of abuse by law enforcement. But if
we do not allow for court-ordered access, for the first time
in the history of this country a court order for seizure of
evidence will be an absolute nullity.

We want to work with industry on a real solution, recognizing
that those who acquire encryption over the Internet or from
abroad naively make assumptions about the security it affords.
We are not fighting encryption, but we know what will happen
if technology cannot be made to work for law enforcement as
it works for criminals and terrorists.

Louis J. FREEH
Dir., Federal Bureau of Investigation
Washington, July 10,1998