1998-07-23 - Pegasus email, internal DES encryption?

Header Data

From: M Taylor <mctaylor@mta.ca>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 5e7e53bd27f11a876aed839539695ce4b9770421543717cc77b6a29fcd902d69
Message ID: <3.0.5.16.19980723142953.295f0d66@mailserv.mta.ca>
Raw Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 10:34:30 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: M Taylor <mctaylor@mta.ca>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 10:34:30 -0700 (PDT)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Pegasus email, internal DES encryption?

I've been sent this requst indirectly, and thought it best to forward it to
these lists, anonymously. I will forward any replies to the original sender.

-M Taylor

-------------------
Hi guys.

Sorry that this is a little off topic, but I figure that here is my best
chance to find this information, all other resources (save damned
reverse engineering) having been exhausted.

If you have used Pegasus mail before, you would know that it provides an
internal encryption function.  This is some form of DES, accourding to
their web site, and is presumably < 40 bits, as they quite happily allow
worldwide downloads of the binard from the US.  However, actual details
on which form of DES, and how they turn an input password into a key
were not supplied.

Now, my company decided that this encryption was just dandy for
security, and that everyone should use it for all encrypted mail.  This,
along with their idiocies about passwords used have me quite annoyed -
but that is *far* from the point of this.

What I am wanting to do, so as not to have to give up my nice, efficient
unix mailer, while retaining the abilitiy to work with others is
implement (or locate an implementation of) the Pegasus encryption, and
then do a little hacking and add that to my mailer.

The main problem is: no idea what the format of the DES used is.

So, if anyone could supply me with a simple answer to this question, I
would be very apreciative.

Thanks,
 xxxx

Thread