1998-08-03 - Re: Question….

Header Data

From: Anonymous <nobody@replay.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 4875e2553c97d94deac28061fbc57af22273447a23cd5e53bdd3748a474c45d9
Message ID: <199808031315.PAA15001@replay.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 06:15:22 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: Anonymous <nobody@replay.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 06:15:22 -0700 (PDT)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Question....

---"Bernardo B. Terrado" <bbt@mudspring.uplb.edu.ph> wrote:

> How does a hardware encryption device work?

If the Encryption is done on a device attached to your computer
instead of in software on your computer.

> Does it need human intervention to convert a plaintext to ciphertext
> or do we still give the instructions?

Depends on the device.  But most require some effort.

> Correct me if I'm wrong, the key escrow is a hardware encryption
device.

Key Escrow is an action taken by the government to collect or gain
access to private keys.  There was some controversy as to the clipper
chip which is hardware falling prey to key escrow however.