1998-08-06 - Re: Noise source processing

Header Data

From: mgraffam@mhv.net
To: David Honig <honig@sprynet.com>
Message Hash: 91f5164f052131ec8e7339b3b280b7bfcffb03403a5405bb1c1668ff39acc234
Message ID: <Pine.LNX.3.96.980806102531.17770A-100000@albert>
Reply To: <3.0.5.32.19980806073033.007cf540@m7.sprynet.com>
UTC Datetime: 1998-08-06 14:42:16 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1998 07:42:16 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: mgraffam@mhv.net
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1998 07:42:16 -0700 (PDT)
To: David Honig <honig@sprynet.com>
Subject: Re: Noise source processing

On Thu, 6 Aug 1998, David Honig wrote:

> I have digitized FM radio hiss using a $10 transistor radio feeding
> into the LINE in of my soundcard.  The spectrum looks poisson
> with prominant, periodically spaced noise spikes.  It does not pass Diehard.

Yeah, I ran Diehard on it .. and that is why I wanted to find some
references on removing bias.

> But if you take the PARITY of 8 bits to get one bit, then assemble bytes
> out of these bits, the results pass Diehard.

This is a neat idea. I smiled when I read this in RFC1750

> 1. There are some nice spectrogramming shareware programs out there.

I haven't been able to find any for UNIX/X .. any recommendations
for Win31 (I'll try it with Wabi ;) software?

[source clipped]

:) Sweet. Thanks.

Michael J. Graffam (mgraffam@mhv.net)
http://www.mhv.net/~mgraffam -- Philosophy, Religion, Computers, Crypto, etc
"Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing admiration and awe
the more often and steadily we reflect upon them: the starry heavens
above and the moral law within me. I do not seek or conjecture either of
them as if they were veiled obscurities or extravagances beyond the horizon
of my vision; I see them before me and connect them immediately with the
consciousness of my existence." - Immanuel Kant "Critique of
Practical Reason"

Thread