1998-08-05 - change in anonymizer log policy

Header Data

From: Wazoo Remailer <nobody@earth.wazoo.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: cbc1220fbba4d4880313cfe4a62735675cb769b0ca2ab0a8a3e4640f87fcf531
Message ID: <199808052236.WAA04031@earth.wazoo.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1998 15:36:43 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: Wazoo Remailer <nobody@earth.wazoo.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1998 15:36:43 -0700 (PDT)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: change in anonymizer log policy

Looks like Anonymizer's changed their logging policy.
>From their FAQ:

Does the Anonymizer keep logs on who I am and the sites I
visit? How long do you keep logs? Will you release the
information?

The Anonymizer logs only a hash of your IP number (machine
address). We cannot determine your IP number from these logs,
however, this enables us to have logs to study in order to increase
performance, and as a deterent to prevent abusive use of the
Anonymizer for purposes such as e-mail spamming, harassment, and so
on. If we didn't, many people would use it for these purposes, and
the usability of the service would deteriorate as a result.
Anonymizer tools are not a shroud for those who wish to engage in
illegal and unscrupulous activities. However, due to high usage, it
is impossible for us to keep logs for very long, and we cannot
maintain archives.

See our user agreement for more details.

Thread