1998-08-21 - Re: Pipe

Header Data

From: Anonymous <nobody@replay.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: f16ea20cab82213cc71b295e4e877d5841e56c72986bebbdcb34d9d90c7c2e1b
Message ID: <199808212317.BAA24901@replay.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 16:16:53 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: Anonymous <nobody@replay.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 16:16:53 -0700 (PDT)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Pipe

On Thu, 20 Aug 1998 FTPPork@aol.com wrote:

> << Hoppyhead,
>
>  You'll have to wait until we supply the other AOLholes with the information
>  they demanded on thrash music, hacking banks info, LSD manufacturing, and
>  get rich quick schemes.
>
>  We're struggling under the workload of millions of new AOL, PacBell,
>  Earthlink, Prodigy, and other newbies who have just discovered the Net.
>

>  --Tim May
>   >>
> I take that statement as an insult, and it really isn't true about all of us
> AOL users.  Of course, Hoppy was kinda stupid for asking something that
> stupid, but we don't all care about thrash music, hacking banks info, LSD
> manufacturing, and
>  get rich quick schemes.  Actually, some of us know what real hacking is...
> not just using scrolling programs and cracking banks (Both of which are
> completely different) etc...
>
> Anyway, try not to stereotype people so much, because, with the Advent of 32
> bit AOL, we can actually use all of the TCP/IP protocols, etc...

[Porker's lame quoting style retained.]

Porker,

So use an ISP which doesn't have the horrible reputation that AOL and its
users have earned. You continue the grand AOL tradition of spreading
lameness throughout the Internet.

Because AOL is now "32 bit" (oh brother) AOL users are suddenly not
idiots. Right. I guess all the AOLholes who were posting requests for LSD
manufacturing, hacking banks, and band stickers were using "16 bit AOL."

The number of bits AOL's software uses has nothing to do with it. AOL gets
ragged on because their (publishing to the Internet) userbase is composed
mostly of total morons and because they go try to sign up every idiot they
can find with a "50 hours free stupidity/spamming fest" disk. Their
software is designed to allow a trained chimp to use the Internet, and -
surprise, surprise - that's what we get most of the time.

Of course not *all* AOL users are idiots, but enough are to make the
stereotype valid.

If AOLers want to stop being made fun of, then get AOL to stop catering to
every moron they can find and saying "AOL is the Internet." Stop using
this lame and annoying "<< >>" quoting style. (Before somebody jumps on
that, there have been at least four or five Cypherpunks who have
publically bitched about it here and other people have complained about it
elsewhere.) Stop posting requests for music, band stickers, books, pipe
bombs, hacking info, and other such junk to mailing lists where it's
inappropriate and to inappropriate USENET newsgroups. At least try to put
some effort into formatting your posts so that they don't have line breaks
in bizarre places, don't underuse or overuse punctuation, and try to use
some proper capitalization.

AOL brought this on themselves. At least they send me free coasters and
mirrors every other week.

If it wasn't for the very rare useful post from AOL, I'd have my system
killfile mail from AOL going to the Cypherpunks list like I do for my
normal inbox.

Thread