1998-08-26 - RE: LACC: Re: Is hate code speech?

Header Data

From: “William H. Geiger III” <whgiii@openpgp.net>
To: “Francis, Catherine” <cfrancis@securitydynamics.com>
Message Hash: ff90182bc95c6e83674c1f069748c75e60cbc7f12e8c1f64865f7c20372cdb05
Message ID: <199808261908.OAA016.61@geiger.com>
Reply To: <6B5344C210C7D011835C0000F8012766020BB4B0@exna01.securitydynamics.com>
UTC Datetime: 1998-08-26 19:01:02 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 12:01:02 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: "William H. Geiger III" <whgiii@openpgp.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 12:01:02 -0700 (PDT)
To: "Francis, Catherine" <cfrancis@securitydynamics.com>
Subject: RE: LACC: Re: Is hate code speech?

In <6B5344C210C7D011835C0000F8012766020BB4B0@exna01.securitydynamics.com>,
on 08/26/98
   at 02:27 PM, "Francis, Catherine" <cfrancis@securitydynamics.com> said:

>I worry that, in the process of laying all this flame-bait, y'all are
>hoping that naive people might think that a job where there's racial and
>sexual hate-speech isn't a hostile work environment.  Putting this sort
>of language in code does not shelter it from co-workers.

1: In a free and open society one should be able to debate and analyze any
topic of their choosing, even your precious PC dogma. Rather than debate
the issues at hand you choose to use words like "flame-bait" and "troll"
in a weak and obvious attempt to minimize any criticism of your cherished
beliefs.

2: y'all <-- We wouldn't be trying to make an subtle ethnic slur here are
we. Oh I forgot the PC crowd can attack whites, jews, asians (if they make
too much money), southerners, ...ect and that's ok. Do you do this at
work? Are you creating a "hostile workplace" with your anti-souther bais??
Do you see how silly this whole "hostile workplace" concept is??

3: please define "hate-speech" and show where in the 1st Amendments or the
numerous SC ruling that there is "Freedom of Speech" except for speech
that *you* don't like. Please explain where your "right" not to be offened
is derived from.

>	It doesn't matter that the offensive names weren't directed at her. It's
>much worse that they were directed towards an entire group.  Or maybe you
>just admire ethnic slander in terms of cost-efficiency, a sort of
>more-bang-for-the-buck maximization of intolerance where it's a question
>of offending the greatest number with the least amount of effort, and
>simply admire the mechanism by which it's been accomplished?

>	This isn't an issue of free speech.  Well, maybe.  The coder is free to
>name her/his/its variables what they like, all ethical issues aside, and
>equally free to live with the consequences of those actions, which should
>have been the company not using something so vastly unprofessional and
>guaranteed to eventually open them up to a suit like this.  There are
>standards of behavior in a workplace that are slightly more restrictive
>than standing on a soapbox on the quad.  A software company's code is an
>internal company document.  The code that you write at home is your
>document.  You may find this distinction instructive.

This is strictly an issue of free speech. Wether you *like* what I have to
say is not an issue, I still retain the right to say it. The fact of
*where* I say it is irrelevant. If I want to tell a dirty joke, or make a
"racist" comment at work that is my *right* to do so. If my employer
objects to that behavior then it is his right to take whatever action he
feels necessary (upto and including fireing me). This is a matter between
myself and my employer and does not involve the courts or the politicians.

>I'm sorry to digress, since this isn't why the article was originally
>posted, but I was forced to succumb to the troll.  Free speech is
>essential in an open society.   Freedom from discrimination is essential
>in a democracy.   Carry on.

Oh no, you were not "forced", you willfully jumped right in with your
emotional dribble, fearful of open, objective, debate of your precious PC
dogma.

- --
William H. Geiger III  http://www.openpgp.net

OS/2 PGP 5.0 at: http://www.openpgp.net/pgp.html

Tag-O-Matic: Windows?  Homey don't play that!

Thread