1998-09-15 - Re: The DES Analytic Crack Project

Header Data

From: Mok-Kong Shen <mok-kong.shen@stud.uni-muenchen.de>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: 1192d6bb3a739d59fdcbac4011316ecd55c49b403802e1cf2bbbb7bb8932eba7
Message ID: <35FF6B68.41B863BB@stud.uni-muenchen.de>
Reply To: <199809151742.KAA12178@zendia.mentat.com>
UTC Datetime: 1998-09-15 18:38:36 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 02:38:36 +0800

Raw message

From: Mok-Kong Shen <mok-kong.shen@stud.uni-muenchen.de>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 02:38:36 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: The DES Analytic Crack Project

Jim Gillogly wrote:

> In the early 1980's I started trying this approach.  I did the
> back-of-the-envelope estimate and realized it was too big, but
> I thought it worth trying, since if there were a back door in
> DES it might manifest itself by a massive collapse in the complexity
> of these expressions.  I didn't get far enough into it to decide one
> way or the other, since I didn't have a good tool for reducing the
> expressions to minimal form.

As far as I know Boolean minimization has been one of the central
themes of people doing circuit design from the beginning. I should
be surprised if there are spectacular breakthroughs recently.

M. K. Shen

Thread