1998-09-09 - If there’s a trial will some of us be witnesses?

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: 12a66ffe70bcf0e490bc5a87c9e4fa630a3ecbfb5238ec79725fa1c13873b14d
Message ID: <v03130304b21bb25ce70a@[209.66.100.149]>
Raw Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 13:07:28 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 13:07:28 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: If there's a trial will some of us be witnesses?

If Carl Johnson comes to trial, presumably both sides will call expert
witnesses.

So, who will these witnesses be? Ironically, we are almost certainly the
most qualified witnesses on the planet in these issues.

However, I expect we are too disreputable, to either side, to be called.
Instead, they'll likely call on peripheral players like Dorothy Denning to
explain to the jury what AP is. Or perhaps the "Science Applications Inc."
lightweight who attempted to analyze anonymity and remailers for a
conference paper a year or two ago.

Food for thought.

I'm not sure how I'd react if either side called on me to act as witness.
And if they subpoenaed me, I suppose I'd have to spend a few kilobucks to
hire some lawyer to explain to me how and when I could take the Fifth.
(That's what it's come to, with lawyers needed at every stage.)

--Tim May

"The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of
tyrants...."
Licensed Ontologist              | black markets, collapse of governments.

Thread