1998-09-10 - RE: Spot The Fed

Header Data

From: Matthew James Gering <mgering@ecosystems.net>
To: “Cypherpunks (E-mail)” <cypherpunks@cyberpass.net>
Message Hash: 57afea3dcd9f7abcbe6cc4c8c63e58ba3f643e393bb8fca3ddc651dbbae56ad7
Message ID: <33CCFE438B9DD01192E800A024C84A19284637@mossbay.chaffeyhomes.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 13:44:30 +0800

Raw message

From: Matthew James Gering <mgering@ecosystems.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 13:44:30 +0800
To: "Cypherpunks (E-mail)" <cypherpunks@cyberpass.net>
Subject: RE: Spot The Fed

Traceroute doesn't use DNS? Whatever.

And it's ICMP, Internet Control Management Protocol.

The original traceroute works by sending User Datagram Protocol (UDP)
datagrams (default 3) to an invalid port address of a remote host,
starting with a Time-To-Live (TTL) of 1 causing the first router in the
path to return an ICMP Time Exceeded Message (TEM), traceroute
increments the TTL by one (up the max hop count, default 30) and
resends, reaching the next router, until an ICMP Destination Unreachable
Message is returned indicating the unreachable port on the destination
host.

The IP addresses of the hops are determined by the return packet
headers, there is no hostname. Reverse DNS lookup is used to give you
the host names, which can be turned on or off in the traceroute options
(it's much faster if you turn it off).

Traceroute was a diagnostic kludge. RFC 1393 describes and ICMP-based
traceroute function, whereby traceroute sends an ICMP trace message (see
the RFC for details) but there is still no hostname on the return
packet, DNS is still used.

Certain ICMP messages are often disabled and/or certain ports blocked or
"shaped" by routers under thresholds to prevent common Denial-of-Service
(DoS) attacks.

	Matt

Thread