1998-09-07 - Re: IP: Encryption Expert Says U.S. Laws Led to Renouncing of Citizenship

Header Data

From: jimg@mentat.com (Jim Gillogly)
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: 586dc396f097b321d92e4dd14611b81def91df87330fd8178bb740e56006dc68
Message ID: <199809071236.FAA05486@zendia.mentat.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 7 Sep 1998 20:40:37 +0800

Raw message

From: jimg@mentat.com (Jim Gillogly)
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 1998 20:40:37 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: IP: Encryption Expert Says U.S. Laws Led to Renouncing of   Citizenship

M-K Shen wrote:

> Robert Hettinga wrote:
> >
> > Sameer Parekh, the president of the Web server company C2 Net, said:
> > "I think it's essential if you want business that you're doing your
> > development overseas. It's pretty clear to anyone internationally that
> > anything exportable [from the United States] is a joke."
>
> Let's wait and see whether AES will be genuinely exportable.

Why wait?  None of the AES candidates is currently exportable without a
license, and the much weaker DES algorithm that one of them will replace
is not exportable without a license.  In fact, according to the instructions
posted at NIST the algorithm designers from outside the US and Canada were
required to fill out export license applications in order to get a copy of
their own algorithms back from NIST.

Without a change in the regulations AES will be no more exportable
than DES is now.

	Jim Gillogly

Thread