1998-09-15 - Re: Democracy…

Header Data

From: Jaeger <Jaeger@hempseed.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 81b3c71af9e5e9b39b7e88d79b978f151df5af5b4ae59914e6baa8b1f40238a6
Message ID: <35FF39DF.3F322C4A@hempseed.com>
Reply To: <19980915210638.14549.qmail@hotmail.com>
UTC Datetime: 1998-09-15 15:19:24 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 23:19:24 +0800

Raw message

From: Jaeger <Jaeger@hempseed.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 23:19:24 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Democracy...

well, the first amendment is what I expected to be used...
unfortunately, the phrase "...wall of separation between church and
state" is not taken from the first amendment.  It is taken from a letter
written by Thomas Jefferson...  and the meaning is not that church
shouldn't have an effect on the state.  The state CAN support one
religion over another.  In context, the phrase simply explains that the
government can't make laws that RESTRICT religious practice or doctrinal
issues.  The state CAN make laws that encourage the practice of any one
particular religion, as long as the laws do not RESTRICT the PRACTICE of
other religions.  Making people uncomfortable isn't a constitutional
reason to overturn a law.

btw, notice the wording in the first amendment...it only restricts gov't
restrictions on religion.

Jaeger

> Gee, check out the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. Also the
> first
> item in the Bill of Rights. "Congress shall make no law respecting the
>
> establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..."
>
> (from memory, so don't bother me with minor wording corrections.)
>
> By standard convention, this is also referred to as "separation of
> church
> and state."
>
> As with the clueless AOLers yakking about an "Assimov" story they read
> couple of years ago in the 5th grade, you bozos need to get educated
> and
> spend a minute or two thinking before writing.

Thread