1998-09-10 - Impossible Analysis Paper at Crypto98

Header Data

From: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: a650c81745940c965ad8fefa8c4d8978f4bb26a6f4322f1de31ede392a883aae
Message ID: <199809110124.VAA25687@dewdrop2.mindspring.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 20:23:19 +0800

Raw message

From: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 20:23:19 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Impossible Analysis Paper at Crypto98

There's talk of a paper given at Crypto98 on "Impossible
Differential Analysis" which got the NSA people scribbling
like mad taking notes as though this was something that
had never come up at the agency and they'd better get
right on it.

Roughly, as I heard it (and I may be way off), the premise is
that instead of using differential analysis for finding weaknesses
in a cipher, to flip that to determine what could not possibly be
a weakness in a cipher and build one with just those attributes.

Is this report correct, and is there a source for that paper?

Thread