1998-09-15 - Re: Clinton–Why I am Chortling

Header Data

From: “Lynne L. Harrison” <lharrison@dueprocess.com>
To: “James A. Donald” <cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Message Hash: a769e0bdcb49815407524afc795ccfbcf9f3d1664d7ac0ebfea2290d09755390
Message ID: <3.0.5.32.19980915181502.00838820@pop.mhv.net>
Reply To: <3.0.5.32.19980914122452.0086a750@pop.mhv.net>
UTC Datetime: 1998-09-15 09:11:36 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 17:11:36 +0800

Raw message

From: "Lynne L. Harrison" <lharrison@dueprocess.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 17:11:36 +0800
To: "James A. Donald" <cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Subject: Re: Clinton--Why I am Chortling

At 06:21 AM 9/15/98 -0700, James A. Donald wrote:

>    --
>At 12:24 PM 9/14/98 -0400, Lynne L. Harrison wrote:
>> I don't see a power imbalance here.  If a young woman in
>> her 20's invitingly flashes her thong panties at a man, I
>> don't see how she can be portrayed as the victim.
>
>According to the law applied to normal people, Monica was the
>victim.

What law?  This was consensual sex.  No law was broken.  Judgment and
morality, of course, are different issues.

> Also according to the law applied to normal people,
>Clinton was required to spill his guts about all of his sex
>life, because some women sued him, whereas the women suing
>was completely protected against any questions concerning her
>sex life.

Clinton, like anyone else, is required to tell the truth when being deposed
or testifying in front of a Grand Jury, i.e., making any statement under oath.

>These laws are flagrantly unjust, but the Democrats introduced
>them and applied them.  Feminists supported and continue to
>support Clinton precisely because he supported and supports
>laws that he flagrantly broke.  If these laws are to be
>repealed for politicians, they should be repealed for normal
>people as well.

I'm not in a position to comment because I'm not sure who the major players
were at the time the legislation was enacted.  Generally speaking, when the
president belongs to Party A, the majority of the Legislature belongs to
Party B.

Regarding political parties, I am an NPA (no party affiliation) and can
only vote in general elections.  I made this choice because I do not wish
to be "pigeon-holed" by a label imposed upon me as a result of belonging to
a given political party.  In the same vein, I am unable to speak for
"feminists", "normal people", "politicians", etc.  I speak only for myself. ;)

/end of Monica-Bill thread

Lynne L. Harrison, Esq.         |  "If we are all here,
Poughkeepsie, New York          |   then we are not
mailto:lharrison@dueprocess.com |   all there."
http://www.dueprocess.com       |      - old Zen saying

DISCLAIMER:  I am not your attorney; you are not my client.
             Accordingly, the above is *NOT* legal advice.

Thread